Monday 6 July 2015

I Have Never Ruled Out Contesting Again, says Besigye

By Joan Pounds

Hopeful Forum Democratic Change (FDC) presidential flag bearer Dr. Kizza Besigye has refuted claims that he said he will never contest for presidency again.

I have been accused of making a U-turn, of being dishonest following my nomination in the FDC flag bearer elections. These accusations are unfounded. I have never said that I will never contest in an election in Uganda,” Besigye told journalists at FDC party headquarters in Najjanankumbi today morning.

He added; “I have only said that I will only contest after reforms, where is the contradiction? My candidature is the implementation of the fight for free and fair elections.”

Besigye also responded to those accusing him of failure to win in the last three presidential elections, where he has been a candidate battling incumbent president Yoweri Kaguta Museveni saying that Uganda has never had free and fair elections.

“We have never had a free and fair election but some turn around and accuse me of failing to win three times”

He also said that there are no term limits when someone is standing as flag bearer.

“Those saying I don’t respect term limits, do they even understand limits, contesting as a flag bearer is no term of office.” Adding; “I support term limits and I stand by it.”

Besigye was nominated in absentia on Wednesday last week by the Chairman of the FDC Electoral Commission Dan Mugarura upon verification of his credentials.

He was represented by Tororo County MP Geoffrey Ekanya, FDC secretary for mobilization Ingrid Turinawe and Rukiga County MP Jack Sabiiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment